Ash's Goings Ons

It's a little blog about what's up with me.

10.29.2005

Magical Fruit

I made a quick and easy version of Mexican pizza for lunch today. Of course, refried beans were a main ingredient. For some reason, the whole time I was eating I had this little diddy in my head:

Beans! Beans!
A musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you toot

The more you toot
The better you feel
So let's have beans
at every meal

My grandpa and my mom taught this song to my sister and me when we were little. It's funny for many reasons, and funny-odd because beans aren't a fruit. When I was little, I used to sing the song: Beans! Beans! A magical fruit... I never could make the connection between that and the following lines. It makes a lot more sense now.
Somehow, I got to thinking about that, and it made me wonder what the most magical (perceived as magical) fruit is. I think that it's the pomegranite. Maybe I pulled that idea from a book read during my youth, but it might be a widely held notion.
I had never tried a pomegranite until quite recently. I hear that they are very popular in Iran, so Reza gave me an intro to the mystical item. I was expecting something along the lines of palate-overwhelming ambrosia goodness. Holy Crap! Pomegranite is absolutely disgusting.
Another interesting tidbit: the refried beans were manufactured (Is that the word for making and canning a food item?) by Celestial Seasonings, the tea company, here in Boulder. Who'da thunk it? Tea and refried beans, a match made on Mt. Olympus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home