Ash's Goings Ons

It's a little blog about what's up with me.

10.12.2005

real snow and apples

It really snowed! About 11 inches. Now, I realize that this is old news to all you Weather Channel watchers out there. I went to their homepage to check out what was in store and the whole thing was littered with info about the HUGE SNOWSTORM "blanketing" us. Debra's reaction was, "It usually snows sometime in September; this is a little late." These news stations really get worked up about stuff. I don't think they even had any snow stick in Denver. Interesting... So, even though the roads were all clear (the whole time), I used the snow as a good reason to stay home, build a fire and relax. It was great. Well, the fire got a little too stoked for a while last night, but I lived. I guess I need to buy my snow tires now.

The other day, I took a flying leap into adulthood: I bought my own insurance, auto and renter's. I imagine it will seem even crazier when I take out my first life insurance policy. It wasn't too much of a hassle anyway. I called a bunch of places for quotes, then I went to the cheapest plact and took care of the thing. I was pretty surprised by the range of prices. Geico was outrageously expensive AND their claim to fame is a lizard. I prefer the AllState ads, in which they say that they will help you in case of an accident. Somehow that is more reassuring to me than a lizard driving a convertible. Maybe the whole thing was spurred by the Aflak duck?
When I called Geico (my first call), and I told the woman that I needed to call around more, she reiterated the basics of the policy she had quoted and warned me to be sure to "compare apples to apples." Now, I've probably heard this saying a hundred times in my life, but I started thinking about it this time. Maybe it's the fact that my apple selection is more limited here than it was in MI. Maybe it's because the Geico policy was $300 more for $75,000 less coverage than AAA. I don't know, but something struck me: that "apples to apples" saying doesn't make any sense. There are so many kinds of apples. They say when you don't compare apples to apples you compare apples to oranges, but comparing a red delicious with a cortland is like comparing a Geo Prisim with a fighter jet. Don't you agree? A red "delicious" may as well be an orange (although oranges are better). The real problem here is this: I haven't seen one cortland apple for sale here and it's (obviously) making me crazy.

I also took a big step toward becoming a Coloradoan. I got my car registered here. Don't worry, though, when I was home I made a stop at the M-Den and the license plates are ringed with Wolverine swag. I haven't gotten my driver's license yet, but don't listen to those people who say that the only reason is that I'm growing my hair out and it looks ugly. They don't know what they're talking about!

Help decide the pumpkin carving contest winner! Check out the pictures!

  • New Pictures
  • 1 Comments:

    • At 9:45 PM, Blogger Dre said…

      I like the one on the right... It has a jaunty mouth and really awesome eyebrows... Yay for awesome jaunty pumpkin...

       

    Post a Comment

    << Home