Ash's Goings Ons

It's a little blog about what's up with me.

5.31.2005

Salmon, ID: 2

Monday, May 30, 7:10pm; Salmon, ID

Last night I met the off-roaders. They were all really nice. They checked out my car for me (“You didn’t get this thing new, did you?”) and of course it started working just fine, so they couldn’t do all that much. They thought from my description that it could be the starter but that more likely it’s “a fuel problem.” Some think fuel pump. Some think vapor lock. Suggestions have been to give it gas when I start it and to try running a higher octane gas. Oh man! Regular is expensive enough for me. Anyway they fixed a future problem with the computer system and told me the things that the people at Sears probably should have. I think that I got taken advantage of at Sears or, if not, definitely not helped like I should have been. Most of them think it sounds like I didn’t need a battery. Apart from that, they were just good to talk to and fed me (elk! Yum).
This morning I went out with them to go hunt for morales. I rode with Juan and Joanne, who are local. Juan was in the auto business and gave me advice about mechanics in town and offered to come with me if it turns out I end up needing to buy something new. I’m glad for that. On the bad side of things, there weren’t many morales out. Although, I found the first one I ever have. It’s about two inches tall max. The group as a whole (7 people) only found four tiny ones. Then we checked out the wildflowers, and finally went to look at a house that one of them (son of Juan and Joanne) had designed and built. It was a beautiful home with all-stone landscaping.
When we got back to the campground, I talked with Skinner and Gracie (the hosts) for a while. They are from Anchorage, Alaska. The pictures they have of the area are amazing. The mountains look stunning, and they said there are glacier views everywhere. He predicted that I won’t come back.
Speaking of...
I’m having doubts about Fort Collins now. That’s good though, because I want to make a fully thought-out decision. People are so much friendlier out here; there is a small-town feel. You can just chat with anyone and (as demonstrated by the off-roaders) people take an interest in other people. On the other hand, there is more to do in Ft Collins and if I were to end up going to Colo State, I would have more continuity and, in turn, it would be easier on any friendships that I might form. Also, the job outlook seems better in Ft Collins. It certainly is bad in Missoula. Though from what Skinner has said about Alaska... and those great pictures... (freezing, winter darkness, Ashleigh! Energy corp dominated economy!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home