Ash's Goings Ons

It's a little blog about what's up with me.

5.31.2005

Missoula, MT - Salmon, ID

Saturday, May 28 6:35pm; Salmon, ID

Yesterday afternoon and today. Whoa.
I don’t know what my problem is, but I sure drive a lot. After stopping in Bozeman, I kept on to Missoula where I stayed in the Bel Aire Motel because I was a) tired and b) scared that the “memory of food” would be on my clothes or something and a grizzly would find and eat me. I probably would have been equally safe in the motel and the wilderness, though. It’s not that the motel was especially shady or anything, but it did have weekly rates and there was a cop questioning people there this morning. I don’t know why but overheard some stuff about reckless Honda driving. Oh, also the whole thing was lit up with pink neon lights after dusk, a rosy surprise.
Missoula is incredible. A major difference between Montana and Colorado is the greenness of Montana. Missoula is filled with big old maple trees. It’s surrounded by mountains and filled with cute shops (gear shops, bike shops, book shops, juice bars...). I talked to a woman working at the gear shop and she said that she really likes the town and knows multiple people who came to visit and never left. I must admit I was tempted to do the same. Good atmosphere, tons of stuff to do outdoors and low cost of living. I think it’s gonna be Fort Collins, though, for now. I could see myself living in WY, MT or (from what I can see now) ID someday, but it just doesn’t feel right now.
This morning (actually started yesterday) I had my first major glitch of the trip. That’s right: car trouble. Connie just didn’t want to start and I had to call AAA to come get a jump. That means waiting, waiting, waiting. Luckily I have incredible patience and forty-five minutes isn’t that long. It wasn’t too bad. After we got it started (took a bit of fortitude), I headed to Sears to get the battery checked and then replaced. That means I had lunch at the mall. Gyros are so yummy!
From there I drove south on Hwy 93, which I strongly recommend (esp. the Idaho section). It’s a great scenic route along the Salmon River. The hills/mountains along the way are amazing.
I’m camping on some BLM land just outside of Salmon, ID tonight. The campground is technically full, but thankfully the hosts are very nice and are going to let me set up on a little piece of lawn that’s not really a site (their suggestion) and therefore free. Yes!
Unfortunately, the car situation is not resolved and I’m still having quite a time getting her started. So the plan is to get to somewhere with a Chrysler dealership (Idaho Falls?) and stay there until Tuesday. Drat bad timing and federal holidays!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home