Ash's Goings Ons

It's a little blog about what's up with me.

5.24.2005

Ft. Collins, CO

Yesterday (Monday), I visited Fort Collins and Colorado State University. I would call the day a success. The day started off on a good foot because of the cruel nature of people (specifically me). Why is it that we get such a good feeling of driving out of the city during rush hour when everyone else is "driving" (sittle in idle cars on the freeway) the other way? That's right, I was glad at my own relative fortune right off the bat. PLUS, I was driving toward the mountains and all these poor folks were driving not only away from the mountains but toward work.
That's not really any of the good part of the story, though. Once in Ft Collins I did the little info session/tour at CSU. Now, as I knew would be the case, it was all geared toward prospective frosh, but I did it anyway just to get a feel for things.
The tour was the main reason I did it. UMich has a weird campus, weird in a good way. I forget that sometimes. CSU has your standard campus-is-seperate-from-the-town layout. I would describe it as beautiful, but with ugly buildings. Pretty much all the buildings are ugly, but they have lots of trees, open green space and mountains on the horizon.
By the end of the tour, I way rather hungry. I went back to the admissions office to ask the girl working there about restaurants. She didn't know about any middle eastern places (I was craving), but did recommend a deli across the street. I liked the sounds of the deli, but decided to explore the town a little as I looked for lunch. I wanted to look around, and I must have heard ten times that Ft Collins has the second most restaurants per capita in the US (behind San Fran). During my exploration I was reminded of how sweet the town is. I found a great little food co-op that had a good bulk section AND stocked Boulder Ice Cream. What more could you want? The old town area is really beautiful. There is a Waffle House right across the street from campus. Surely, I'm forgetting other good things. (My fav brewery is there, too, but I didn't see it.) I ended up having a great sandwich at the deli the woman had recommended. (Lee, I saw a place called Big City Burrito that looked a lot like Big Ten, small and packed with people.)
After lunch, I skateboarded over to the graduate school office and the Ag Econ dept. That is to say, I found the building that houses ag econ. I was wandering around there somewhat puzzled (it's not in the bldg directory) when I saw a woman and asked her if she knew where the dept was. Turned out that she was an ag econ grad student. She walked me over and introduced me to some of the other grad students and to her advisor. So, I got to talk to one of the professors for about an hour. It was really helpful, even though he wasn't the guy I would work with if I were there (he was out of the office). I really liked the sounds of the program itself and the atmosphere (laid back).

I'm quite excited about Ft Collins in general right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home