Ash's Goings Ons

It's a little blog about what's up with me.

5.22.2005

Denver/Boulder/Estes

I am in Denver. I got here late Thursday night.

Friday

On friday I went to school with Kathryn and volunteered there. It was a half day and field day, so I spent half the day playing with frisbee golf supplies and half the day doing non-teaching teacher stuff. That means cleaning and sorting. The school is pre-K through eighth grade, so I saw a lot of cute kids that morning. I even had a great talk about bikes with a little four-year-old named Emily. We both have two bikes, so we had a lot in common. Though I think I lost the cool contest because one of her bikes is a Barbie bike. Dang! I did win a lot of points with the other kids because I can juggle.
After school got out, all the teachers (and I) had pizza and cookies. Yum! Then after school would have gotten out if it had been a full day, all the teachers (and I) went out to happy hour at a nearby Mexican joint. I had a delicious Pina Colada. Then we went out to a bar that was really hoppin' because they were having a luao. That meant we had to pay a cover, but it was only four dollars and the party included a buffet of great food. Definitely worth it. I have to say, though, that I would have liked the bar better if there had been dancing. That night we drove to Estes and slept at our favorite campsite (Cpt. Jack's Point).

Saturday

Saturday we got up and drove into Estes to one of the greatest coffee shops on Earth: Kind Coffee. I had a Chai Latte that rocked my face off. We met Charles (Kathryn's B-Friend) there for a hike. We did one in the park from Bear Lake to Bierstadt Lake then on the Storm Pass trail back to Bear Lake parking. I did this all with the biggest blister known to man, which I think had taken root on my Lighthouse hike in Palo Duro. I had done it up with Molefoam etc. and didn't do too much damage. What I did learn and made me very sad is that I need to hike with poles because of my stinkin' knee, which is also keeping me from running. It frustrates me to the max. That evening we ate dinner with Charles's parents and slept in Kathryn's truck in their driveway.

Sunday (today)

We got up this morning and headed out of Estes after picking up some cinnamon rolls at the Donut Haus for breakfast. We spent the day in Boulder. We started at a coffee place (Can you tell that Kathryn is a coffee drinker?) and I had another Chai, but of course, it wasn't as good as Kind Coffee's. This coffee joint is next to the Boulder Ice Cream scoop shop, and obviously we HAD to go over there and have a snack. Oh glory! Let's see...after that we mostly did shopping. I got a new tie, skirt, warm hat (wasn't thinking clearly, packed all mine and left them at home) and the requisite hiking poles (on sale at REI!). Kathryn got a bunch of great clothes for only a hundred bucks, an incredible deal on a pack at a used gear shop, a first aid kit and a little purse. Then we went out to Noodles. Mmm. Now I'm back in Denver and Kathryn and her housemate Danielle are at mass.

Tomorrow I plan to visit Ft. Collins, the home of Colo State University and one of the towns on my short list. I know that Kathryn is pulling for it. I also got a positive review from one of her fellow teachers who had lived there for a while. After that, I'm not so sure if I will move on or not. I NEED to have cell phone service on Wednesday because I have a phone interview for a job in Boise. I don't want to chance it by being in WY - a vast cellular abyss and my probable location if I leave on Tuesday morning. Besides, the Denver area is fun.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you're in boulder, eh? you should check out the Odyssey of the Mind competition at the University of Colorado if you haven't yet or have the time. It's amazing.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home