Ash's Goings Ons

It's a little blog about what's up with me.

5.27.2005

southern WY

Wednesday, May 25 7:50pm; Lander, WY

Right now I’m sitting on a boulder next to the Popo Agie River (pronounced po-PAH-ja with the ja like it is in Raja). The river is huge right now and it’s all I can hear, no wind, no typing. I’m right by the place where my NOLS course started off last summer, on the border of the Shoshone National Forest.
Driving in today was great. I had forgotten how amazing Wyoming is. It’s incredibly beautiful with huge open skies and exposed hills and plateaus of rock of all different colors. I really like it. The winters here really must be something to keep almost all human life away from permanent resident status. I retraced part of the drive I did last summer, so I got to see Independence Rock again. Driving that road is like jumping into the 3-D version of the Oregon Trail game from back in the day. Luckily I avoided all the classic pitfalls: cholera, broken leg, dysentery, oxen death and the dreaded broken wagon wheel. I didn’t have to hunt bison for food either, but I did eat animal crackers.
The reason I am in Lander is to do some research for a little backpacking trip that Kathryn and I are going to do in a week, when she gets off work. The forest service office is here, and I’m hoping to access some of NOLS’s resources as well. I think it should be pretty easy, and I can get on my way to the Tetons and Yellowstone without much delay.

This morning I had a (phone) job interview with the USDA rural development program in Boise, ID. I think that it went well. I got lots of compliments on my answers, the director liked the questions that I asked of him, and they asked me for another reference. They told me to expect to hear back by June 13. The job sounds good to me, but if I get an offer I’ll have to think about the possible effects it will have on my graduate school plans. It would be a long-term commitment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home