Ash's Goings Ons

It's a little blog about what's up with me.

5.31.2005

Salmon, ID: 1

Sunday, May 29 6:56pm; Salmon, ID

Yay for the campground hosts again. They informed me last night that there is a Chrysler dealership (with which they have happily done business) here in town. That means that I can stay here until Tuesday, which seems safer in terms of the car.

I started out my day with some reading. I was so hooked into my book (Confessions of a Barbarian by Edward Abbey), that I almost couldn’t put it down last night in order to sleep. It is a compilation of his journals. I enjoyed it from cover to cover and am even more excited about his work than I was before. I’m glad that he had a fair amount published and I have quite a bit more of him to read.
Then, I rode my bike into town. My objectives were to get back into the cell service zone so I could call my dad and let him know about the change in plans as far as the car goes, to check out the dealership, and to explore the town a bit. I was also hoping to get a hold of Kathryn to try and solidify some plans, but trouble we’ve been having getting a hold of each other continues. I met my first objective, and I think that my dad feels better knowing that I don’t have to drive with the uncertainty surrounding Connie. I met my second objective; the dealership looks a-okay. I met my third objective: drank a wonderful iced chai while reading* on a sunny deck by the river, almost signed up for a half day float trip (nothing going out unfortunately) and finally found the right gift for my mom (birthday approaching). I am most excited about the gift because (as many of you know) I will not get a gift unless I find the right thing, regardless of holiday/occasion. Oh, I also had a salad at a little local diner, which is in a gas station (I’m sure that I was suffering from severe nutrient deficiency because this was one lackluster salad and it tasted rather good.), like they sometimes do with Subway etc. Since then, I’ve been relaxing back at camp. Reading, writing, no arithmetic.

The rest of the campground is filled with the Snake River Off-roading Club or something like that. I was informed of this by one of the most talkative kids on the planet, who decided that she wanted to meet me yesterday. Now I know all about her family (ex. details of parents’ divorce) and all her friends and crushes. Most excitingly, her name is Rain. Her baby brother’s name is Raider. And there are some kids at school “who have really weird names:” they both have the name Princess in front. For example: Princess Ashleigh Sewell, except that the non-princess portion of the names was too unusual for me to remember.

*My new books are History of Western Philosophy por Bertrand Russell, which was recommended to me some time ago by Mark and I’m finally getting to and Oh Pioneers! by Cather, who is one of my favorites. New reading material means, probably, a change in tone and/or style with my journal. I’m so impressionable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home