Ash's Goings Ons

It's a little blog about what's up with me.

6.24.2010

Now what to drink?

As we all know, Portland is full of brilliant beverages.  What are you going to drink with me when I get there?

Fat Straw
First on the list today is the place where I cultivated my taste for bubble tea.  I need to revisit them in part so I can compare my homemade bubble tea to theirs and in part because I haven't figured out how to make my favorite "tea", taro, yet.  They are also one of the most reliable tea latte, another favorite of mine, makers in town.

Nick's Famous Coney Island
If you don't like the root beer here, I cry for you.  I also really like the atmosphere.  The guys who run it are fun, and you can tell they love the place.

Hopworks Urban Brewery
Root beer runner up.  It's nice and spicy, and they get extra points for brewing it themselves (Nick's has some sort of authentic Coney Island supplier).  Late night happy hour with pretzels and mustard is a plus.  Also, I had some of the best service (almost to the point of mind reading) here for one excellent pizza dinner.

Tao of Tea: Original Teahouse
Amazing, extensive tea menu is bound while the (also delicious) food menu is one single-sided page.  It reflects their priorities.  Jasmine pearls, silver needle and kukicha here are excellent, and they certainly know their way around a kombucha culture.  I am anxious to try more.  Also, a great place to take your time eating - the world slows down in here.

Willamette Valley
Wine tasting trip!  Joy!

Tea Chai Té
I have not been overly impressed by this place in the past, but I want to give it another chance.  It's in a great neighborhood to explore, and it's a teahouse.  I have hope for you yet, Tea Chi Té!

Bars and Beers...  Okay, I know that some of you may be shocked to see that this list is conspicuously beer-free.  This is not for lack of wanting beer.  I most certainly do.  I still find Vermont beers lacking in comparison to my last two homes, Boulder and Portland.  Entirely unsurprising, I know.  The thing is that bars are all about the company and/or the music, so I am flexible on this one.  I know some of the things that I want to drink, though: Laurelhurt Brewery's Free Range Red, Cascade Blackberry Red, Roots' Flanders Red, Black Butte (of course)... this list is very red.  I need to remember more dark beers I like.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home