Ash's Goings Ons

It's a little blog about what's up with me.

6.08.2005

Long time no internet

A lot has happened since I last wrote.

I was in the backcountry!

But first... I was walking down the road when I saw a fairly large black bear run across. I didn't see where he went so I turned around and got a ride instead of chancing it with the bear.

Kathryn and I did a short backpacking trip in the southern Windriver Range, starting out in Lander, WY. On our hike in we were, unfortunately, on a trail that had been turned into an ATV route. We even saw a number of ATVers. It was depressing even though they had forged a path through the deep snow. We got cold and wet, and those things don't go together very happily, as you know. Nothing I wasn't expecting, but the Winds are different from the Rockies that Kathryn knows best. On our first day we passed Pete's Lake (For Pete's Lake!) and ended up at Twin Lakes, of which there are three. Hmm....? The tent was on a little snow. I smelled like mildew for some reason. It wasn't the greatest night, but I did actually sleep a little bit. The next day we did a little off trail business. There were great views and we didn't have any navigating trouble. We descended a little and got out of the snow to find one of the most posh campsites of all time. There was a big rock in the sun for napping and reading. The tent site was flat and protected by some tress. The bear bag went up without much trouble. It was rad. The next day we felt like hiking out, so we did. One highlight of the day was Popo Agie Falls. It is absolutely amazing, maybe the best falls I've seen. I would recommend the hike to anyone in the area. The other highlight was a hail/lightning storm during which we had to crouch down in lightning position (uncomfortable) for a while which getting soaked by rain and hail. Excitement. We had almost made it out before the storm hit. So close. That night we camped in Vydette (Kat's truck) next to a resevoir in Shoshone NF.

In the morning we had coffee (chai for me) at The Magpie, which is a great coffee joint in downtown Lander. We chilled there for a while playing chess and Scrabble before we split. She headed south toward Boulder I headed west toward Boise.

On my way west I found myself back in Jackson Hole, but I saw something new: The National Museum of Wildlife Art. It is mostly paintings and sculptures. Amazing. Almost moved to tears by two different pieces. It was worth the $8 admission without question. It's another stop I would recommend to a fellow traveler. Also on the way I stopped in Idaho Falls (also my second time through) because I saw some used Subarus on a Ford lot. I gave one a test drive, but I felt strange because I hadn't had a chance to do a lot of research on Subies yet. At the dealers they like to throw you right into the car for a test drive. I figured it couldn't hurt. I couldn't get a feel for it because I was focusing all my energy on not getting too annoyed by the saleswoman, who I did not care for. I drove through Arco, ID, the first city to be "lit by nuclear power." There must have been a lot of energy left over 'cause this is a tiny little town. Oh well. I finally ended up camping at Craters of the Moon National Monument.

After a cold night we find ourselves at today. Whew! I started the morning by exploring Craters while letting the frost melt off my tent. I didn't know about this place! I just saw it on the map and thought I'd have a go. It's pretty sweet even though the lava is flowing no more. The best parts were looking down into the crater of an old volcano and walking through Indian Cave. The caves are formed where there used to be underground lava (magma?) rivers. Awesome! There are a bunch of them but I only went through one. I was the only one there and I've gotta say that it was a little freaky. Luckily no cave-ins.

Right now I'm at the Days Inn in Nampa, ID, a Boise suburb. The Boise hotels are full today. It's Wednesday so I think that's strange. I'm excited because I think that Wednesday is South Park on Comedy Central. Also I will have heating and a bed. Oh luxury! I'm not sure what the plan is from here,, but I think I'll be car shopping tomorrow.

*check out picture updates*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home