Ash's Goings Ons

It's a little blog about what's up with me.

6.14.2005

Livermore, CA

I'm at my aunt and uncle's house nursing my sunburn, which is now all gross, painful and blistery. Plus, it's on my foot, in part, so I basically can't do anything. Apart from that, things are all good.

Yesterday on my way here I stopped in Placerville, CA, which is a cute little town not far from Eldorado National Forest. I stopped for chai and a muffin (carrot zucchini!). I was hoping to have lunch there because John and Derrick, the kayakers, had recommended a Mexican joint there to me, but the timing was not right. Then I drove some more on the exciting California freeway system. It's so fun compared to the deserted two-way highways of Nevada, Idaho, Wyoming... My next stop was UC at Davis. Eh, blah. No warm and fuzzy feeling there. Just hot. I haven't experienced temperatures like this (upper 90s) for YEARS. Oh sweet mountain temperatures. Anyway, the best part about Davis was that everyone bikes everywhere; the roads are pretty much filled with bikers. The worst part might be that it is finals week RIGHT NOW! I know that as a graduate student my schedule would be pretty much year-round anyway, but finals now? They obviously don't care about people. (I wonder when they start.) I overheard this great tidbit as I strolled around:
(group of 3 prof-like guys)
Professorial guy 1 in teacher-like tone: That was a very good question.
Professorial guy 2: Yes... That was a rhetorical question, wasn't it?

So, I got out of there after a little while and drove in even more, more exciting traffic on my way to Livermore. I was a bit early (should have stuck around in Placerville for lunch) so I stopped and caught a movie. Madagascar, not too good. Oh well. It got out at five so I chilled out in a traffic jam for a little while, rocking out to the Femmes and having a good time in general. I think I'm the only person on Earth who has so much fun in traffic jams. After some time (enough to field a brief phone call from Dad and listen to the Femmes' Add It Up album Intro through 36-24-36), I made it to my aunt and uncle's (after some difficulty getting through the gate).

Yay! So, I get to see everyone, eat real food, chill out and play cards! Oh and do laundry!

and I bought the new White Stripes album: glory

1 Comments:

  • At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ooh, is the White Stripes album any good? It was hyped out of its mind.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home