Ash's Goings Ons

It's a little blog about what's up with me.

2.19.2007

Motel 6 - just what you would think

On our trip to Portland, Slav and I stayed in a Motel 6. I'm not entirely sure why we keep staying there, but they are inexpensive and the kitties are welcome. That's good, right? Oh wait! I said inexpensive when what I should have said was cheap. The way they save money is... troublesome and odd. And that's just what I know as a guest; I can't imagine (and don't want to imagine) the sacrifices made in other areas (like soap is more expensive to use for cleaning than plain water is, so...).
Here is the problem: Motel 6 claims proudly that, "Motel 6 offers a low price and great value without sacrificing comfort..." in their media releases and advertising (emphasis mine). I beg to differ.

Motel 6 shortcomings:
1) toiletries - They do not offer shampoo, conditioner, lotion, etc. This is not such and big deal, and they do have soap. But where other hotels have a sign pleasantly explaining that you need trouble yourself with as little as a phone call to the front desk if you forgot your toothpaste or shaving razor Motel 6 has nada.

2) towels - They provide tiny, scratchy and translucent towels. Less material, more money saved, I suppose. Also, they only provide a minimal number of towels, say half of a "normal" establishment standard. I hope you don't value your modesty if you want to wrap yourself in one of their towels after showing.

3) shower heads - The shower heads are low - very low. As a tall person, this is a normal hotel shower complaint for me, but it is still ridiculous. I didn't see right away how this could be thrifty, but Slav did: they use less pipe because the water is not transported as far. Four inches of pipe multiplied by however many rooms nationwide equals more than most people make in a few years, I would venture to guess.

4) toilet lids - The toilets in a Motel 6 do not have lids. "What's the big deal?" you ask? Well, they claim to be ultra pet-friendly. This wonderful corner-cutting taught my little babies to play in the toilet. Now, I have to keep the thing under lock and key to prevent potty-water-soaked cats from bounding throughout the house.

5) ashtray - This one is... strange. In the "no smoking" rooms they don't use a normal sign on the door to indicate that the room is smoke-free. Instead, they have the "no smoking" symbol printed on the bottom of an ASHTRAY. Yes, you read that correctly. They provide ashtrays to tell you not to smoke. I have to assume that the ashtrays are cheaper than the signs (some consequence of buying bulk or something?). Best case scenario: weird corporate joke, which is actually rather funny. Worst case scenario: people smoke in the room and I have to smell it and when I wake up in the morning all my stuff smells like smoke.

6) facial tissues - No Kleenex. No Puffs. No itchy, awful knock-off hotel brand. Nothing. I hope you don't get a stuffy nose from the cigarette smoke odor.

7) blankets - The "blankets" provided are pathetic. You can see through them, and they provide NO warmth. Brrrr! Our recommendation: bring your own.

8) clocks - this is the one that really makes me crazy. I don't know why, because it certainly isn't the worst of the offenses. I guess that makes it a pet peeve or something. At Motel 6, there is no clock. This is an outrage! Why do people stay at Motel 6? I can tell you it isn't for the relaxing comfort, delicious room service breakfast and in-room spa services. They stay there to go to sleep, get up in the morning and LEAVE. However, when you get up, you will have no idea what time it is because the room contains no timepiece. You're at a motel, so perhaps you are traveling and not in your normal routine. You may want to know what time it is when you wake up in the morning. You might have a meeting. You might want to make it out for some touristy day of fun that hinges on catching a tour bus or something. Oh well, too bad.

Motel 6 management, I ask you to please revise your outrageous claim that you do not sacrifice comfort for price. This is ludicrous. Just tell the truth: Motel 6 is your cheapest option that isn't pay-by-the-hour.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home