Ash's Goings Ons

It's a little blog about what's up with me.

2.10.2008

That's Hip!

Beth and I went dancing on Friday night, my first time here in Portland. Now, I have definitely done things like go outside, walk down the sidewalk and generally be in the city, but... I never really got so wowed by the hipster "thing" as I did on Friday. Perhaps it was the density.

Now, to be sure, I am not the first person to comment on the hipster phenomenon. Simply google the word and you will have pictorial definitions, diatribes and intricate step-by-steps for overthrowing them. There is even a Portland mayoral candidate who is running on the platform of banishing the hipsters from my very own neighborhood (I must say could not find anything about his methods. Concentration camps in NYC?).

Anyhow, on Friday, I got a look into two aspects of the hipster culture: The look and The music. The look is usually described as ironic. I am trying to look cool by looking not cool. Yes, going out to dance looking bad, on purpose. Now, I don't really have a problem with that. Though, I am puzzled when that look requires loads of warm goods: coats, toques, many layered ensembles in general. It's hot; it's crowded; it's dancin'. At least the "classic" skanky club look is practical for the activity (kinda). Now, the guys and their hair and... Beastie Boys Sabotage video meets lumberjack meets our parents' embarrassing high school yearbook photos. So, I'm puzzled, but not bothered by their look - nothing too remarkable about that. That's fashion.
The music. That was the source of my problem with the hipsters. The DJ played intentionally bad music! What? Why?
Hey! I'm trying to dance here!

1 Comments:

  • At 9:36 AM, Blogger Dre said…

    This is funny - and I am so on top of reading your blog!!! I think the most practical would be to layer all of the exciting hipster gear in order to go outside (the windchill here is -15 or so), and then take it off as you warm up, ending up with the "classic" (though often not classy) club look...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home